Niger govt denies large Libyan convoy in country

Tue Sep 6, 2011 8:28pm GMT

NIAMEY, Sept 6 (Reuters) – Niger’s interior minister denied on Tuesday that hundreds of Libyan vehicles had crossed into the country, saying that, to his knowledge, only the head of Muammar Gaddafi’s security brigades and his family had been welcomed in the country.

French and Nigerien military sources said earlier on Tuesday that a convoy of 200-250 Libyan military vehicles, including officers from Libya’s southern army battalions, had crossed into the country on Monday.

Interior Minister Abdou Labo confirmed that security chief Mansour Dhao had been allowed to enter the country on humanitarian grounds, but said he was the only Libyan official to have been received.

“To my knowledge, there have not been hundreds of vehicles that crossed into Niger,” Labo said at a press conference in Niamey.

Labo also said that, to his knowledge, Gaddafi was not in Niger.

The U.S. government on Tuesday urged Niger to detain senior officials from the Gaddafi government who it believes crossed into the country in a convoy from Libya. (Reporting by Himadou Amadou; writing by David Lewis; Editing by Jon Boyle)

http://af.reuters.com/article/libyaNews/idAFL5E7K65DO20110906?feedType=RSS&feedName=libyaNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FAfricaLibyaNews+%28News+%2F+Africa+%2F+Libya+News%29

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Libya, News and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s